Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

on Competitiveness

It is Monday, it is time for a good friendly game
of basketball with the old friars in our parish community.
Meeting old friends, talking and reminiscing the past memories
that bonded us as a group. I even gave a name to our group,
I called it Monday Club. Once you entered the gymnasium,
you can feel the intensity of each one. While you are watching and
waiting for your turn you can see that all are giving their best.
It seems that you are watching the NBA playoffs..

Who would never forget the bruises, the laceration in the
eyelids and most of all the famous fall I experienced which
caused me slip discs in my spine area. It almost paralized me.
But that never stoped me from playing again. After two months
of rehabilation, I once again came back to the pavement
and played the game I truly love.

The personalities, it changes on a weekly basis. The friars have
their famous Fr. Fred. In local dialect we call him "Amang."
The Great Father, maybe because he is the oldest in the group.
Who would not admire this man in his late 50's still running
around the court and still making his trademark off the board shots.
Take note he is diabetic for years. I still remember him during his
early years in our parish, he is a smoker. Then one monday when
he saw that there are a lot of youth playing in the gym.
He quited smoking and start playing with us. The competitive spirit,
his wisdom is very contagious. He even acts as a playing coach inside
the court if he is yor teamate.

I hope and wish, if ever I will reach that age I will be like him.
That is if I will reach that age. As what they say basketball is Life.
For some of these humble, lowly friars this is in deed true. A time for them to
know their fellow brethren and a good time to reach out to the community.

3 comments:

  1. competitiveness...

    Once there was a group of youngsters who believed they were destined to be the greatest in basketball. It started as a hobby that evolved to a passion. They played the game be it on the court, classroom, corridor, street, and even at playstation. They joined a competition to challenge the best. And so they practiced... really hard. Jogging at QC Circle, scrimmages, and other crazy rituals. Game day came and alas... they never reached the finals. Yet they were not losers. They were just as happy to be able to play, contented with the sleeveless shirts with the school logo on it. With their fighting spirit they ended up donning the school's jersey and playing for the school's honor... all of them.

    Though they seldom play together these days, life taught them the value of their brotherhood. Forever teammates no matter where you're playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is one man that i would count on to pass the ball to nd hit the big shot, that wud be you..

    I really appreciate all the things nd knowledge you shared me in this game of life. Especially constantly working with me to improve my jumpshot. I really love it when u say i will be dangerous as i want to be if i hav an accurate jumpshot.

    I am a competetive person in everything i do. U made me even more competetive everytime we play together because there is someone i can trust and i know i cannot do it alone.

    Talyan Village Basketball Court..

    Where come back from a Big Lead happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciation on Anonymous:

    This is maybe one of the few times that I recieved an emotional message from my brother.
    My Idol, teaches me a lot thru his works and gestures. My total opposite when it comes to patience.

    I'm just sad because I will be leaving you in our battle grounds. But Steve, Paolo and the rest of the crew will be there.

    You have the shot already, just always have the feeling that you will make every shot you make.

    The game of Life is very playfull, at first you're ahead but sometimes you will find your self at the losing end. You already know what I'm going thru at the moment. You already know what to do.

    You already had the shot for you to be happy in your Life. Do good, you know best than me...

    Thanks for all that I learned...you always remain in me, in my prayers, my thoughts and in my stories...

    ReplyDelete